fitia: Cartoon drawing of a small, brown-skinned fairy using a Nintendo DS and holding a stylus that is longer than her (Art process)
[personal profile] fitia
 Prompt: List and describe a few things that constantly surround you but that you don’t know the names of.

It’s always architecture and botany that keep tripping me up. There are so many plants and pieces of a building that you absolutely need to know in order to make your descriptions more precise, but hell if I know them! Or ever manage to memorize them!

Those little statues built into the entrance of gothic churches, for example, or the minute details of those Greek-styled pillar bases, with the leaves and all in their patterns. I’m not sure I could describe what the trees in my city even look like, seeing as that I don’t really pay attention to them. They’re green, is all I know. What shape are their leaves? What size are their trunks? All I know is that they’re tall and that they make for good shade in the summer.

It really shows the importance of being observant and curious, in order to be a good writer.


 

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦



Time: First time-limit day! I had to write this in 10 minutes, and completed it in 7.

Notes:
  • I'm not sure I did much listing as opposed to complaining, but I certainly expressed that there a things I don't know the names to!
  • My first instinct before filling this prompt was to describe the houses across the street, and all the parts of them I don't actually know the names to, but my "write this in a bloggy, chatty voice" instinct won out. I feel like I should have gone with the first thing, though.

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 10th, 2026 03:41 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios